Upholstered Headboard DIY9:40 PM
Hubby and I have been needing a headboard for a while now. However, I've had a hard time deciding just what I want. I'm kind of in love with upholstered headboards, unfortunately the huge price tag on the ones I like is a bit of a deterrent. A couple weeks ago I decided enough was enough. Something was better than nothing.
I wanted to keep this project as cheap as possible, so I checked out the sale adds and headed down to JoAnn's. I love the natural look of linens and burlap, but after looking at everything, I found some great looking muslin for a fraction of the cost. I also got a sheet of batting about 1 inch thick.
First I ironed the muslin to get out any creases. Then I laid it out on the floor and put the batting over the top. Then I put the headboard directly on top of the batting, leaving about 4 inches around the edges (to wrap around the back).
Then I wrapped the fabric around the back and stapled everything in place. I started in the middle and worked my way to the edges so that the corners would be smooth. Then I hammered in some decorative nailheads around the edges. All that's left is to attach it to the bed! *Note: don't ruin your pretty nailheads with a regular hammer - use a rubber mallet like this one!
I absolutely love the way it turned out. For a total price break-down, I spent $20 on the headboard, $10 on fabrics, and $8 on the decorative nails. Grand total... $38!! That sure beats any of the store-bought counterparts, like this one or this one. And to tell the truth, I kind of like mine better! :)
This project went so quickly that I completely forgot to take pictures as I went! So, if you want step-by-step instructions, I found a great post by Jen Woodhouse with more detailed instructions.
Gook Luck! If any of you do end up making your own upholstered headboard, I'd love to hear how it went or see pictures of it!